## Amazon Kinesis Output for Telegraf
This is an experimental plugin that is still in the early stages of development. It will batch up all of the Points
in one Put request to Kinesis. This should save the number of API requests by a considerable level.
## About Kinesis
This is not the place to document all of the various Kinesis terms however it
maybe useful for users to review Amazons official documentation which is available
## Amazon Authentication
This plugin uses a credential chain for Authentication with the Kinesis API endpoint. In the following order the plugin
will attempt to authenticate.
1. Assumed credentials via STS if `role_arn` attribute is specified (source credentials are evaluated from subsequent rules)
2. Explicit credentials from `access_key`, `secret_key`, and `token` attributes
3. Shared profile from `profile` attribute
4. [Environment Variables](https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-go/wiki/configuring-sdk#environment-variables)
5. [Shared Credentials](https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-go/wiki/configuring-sdk#shared-credentials-file)
6. [EC2 Instance Profile](http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/iam-roles-for-amazon-ec2.html)
For this output plugin to function correctly the following variables must be configured.
The region is the Amazon region that you wish to connect to. Examples include but are not limited to
The streamname is used by the plugin to ensure that data is sent to the correct Kinesis stream. It is important to
note that the stream *MUST* be pre-configured for this plugin to function correctly. If the stream does not exist the
plugin will result in telegraf exiting with an exit code of 1.
This is used to group data within a stream. Currently this plugin only supports a single partitionkey.
Manually configuring different hosts, or groups of hosts with manually selected partitionkeys might be a workable
solution to scale out.
The format configuration value has been designated to allow people to change the format of the Point as written to
Kinesis. Right now there are two supported formats string and custom.
String is defined using the default Point.String() value and translated to byte for the Kinesis stream.
Custom is a string defined by a number of values in the FormatMetric() function.